Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bhapa Illish



The one thing that I and my bengali friends discuss often is food. It doesn't take much time for the discussion to take the avatar of an argument. Well don't take me wrong, I am also picky about my friends with whom I argue. They are my childhood friends .... hence always taken for granted. Let me clarify that it happens both ways .... not that I am a nasty girl and that they are saints. (Just in case they are reading and smiling about my confession).
The comparison is always there as both the states share similar food habits. And both are big time fisheaterians !! Illishi Macha (in Odiya) or Illish Mach (Bengali) being the most sort after one. My Bengali friends leave no stone unturned when they go gaga about Bhapa Illish. But they have never been generous to serve me with this Bengali Delicacy. Yah I am complaining about all you guys ..... so at least feel sorry for this and stop grinning for heaven's sake.
So I decided to prepare it all my myself and stop relying on these guys. But let me admit that I called up Soumik - a Bong and an awesome cook ( it sometimes takes gutts when you praise people you fight with :-) ) for the recipe.
Well the conversation was not so pleasant as we fought over food again ...... But I got the recipe for Bhapa Illish (Microwave version) from him.
I hate hate hate to admit that his recipe indeed turned out to be finger licking good.

Soumik, just in case you are reading , don't be in the false notion that I am going to agree with you ever when it comes to food ! This is probably your lucky day and the last time I am agreeing with you :-)

Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Serves - 3
Ingredients
Hilsa Fish - 6 pieces
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 cup
Poppy Seeds - 1/3 cup
Plain Yogurt - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
Green Chili - 4
Mustard Oil - 4 tsp
Salt per taste
Method of Preparation
1 Wash and clean the hilsa pieces. Pat them dry with a paper towel and keep aside.
2 Soak mustard seeds and poppy seeds for couple of minutes.
3 Add green chilies to the mustard and poppy seeds and wet grind it to a thick paste.
4 Now remove this paste into a microwavable dish.Add turmeric powder and plain yogurt to it.Also add 4 tsp of mustard oil to it.
5 Add the hilsa pieces to it and coat well with the mixture.
6 Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and microwave it for 12 - 15 minutes.
Serving Tips
Serve warm with plain rice.



18 comments:

Tanvi said...

Hilsa dish looks really tasty..I love the mustard preparation a lot...goes great with rice!
Sinfully Spicy

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

New one to me. Looks delicious and yummy. Enjoyed reading your post !!

Sulagna said...

Looks great..This has made me so hungry...Would have been perfect for a rainy day like today :)

Best Regards
Sulagna
http://e-senseofspicenfragrance-sulagna.blogspot.com/

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Satrupa
I really enjoyed the write up, very true indeed.
Vapa Ilish has many variation and this one is one of the best.
We bongs dont deviate easily from our taste and what we know. :-)
Anyway try Ilish Besara ( jeera, sorisha and Rasuna bata ) and if you have some ambula handy, add it, it will be divine
Bhala thiba
Ushnish bhai

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks so yummy..love the green colour of the gravy and recipe too is different from the usual...

Suman Singh said...

WOW..what a delicious platter..that made me hungry..looks yummie indeed..and really enjoyed the writeup..very well written.

Torviewtoronto said...

we make this with coconut milk delicious

Satya said...

lovely write up dear n ur illish mach looks delicious ...yummy

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a droolworthy dish, the green colour gravy tempts me a lot..

Simplyfood said...

Rich and creamy gravy looks tasty.

Elaichii said...

I don't eat fish, but always love to have good friends like you have!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

lovely fish! I never knew we could make it in microwave!

aipi said...

Heard a lot about this dish..looks awesome !

US Masala

marina said...

wow superb combination.. abe sukhua puda au pakhala kete badhia na...

marina

Keri said...

Hello, Friend. Thank you for coming to my blog at spitnglue.com, and for your sweet comment. Your blog here is very tastfully done. In more ways than just the recipes. It's pleasing to the eye and well written with beautiful photographs. You made me laugh in talking to your friends, I can relate. This recipe looks incredibly simple and delicious. However, I have a questions:

1. What is Hilsa fish or another equivilant fish? Is it a fatty fish like Salmon or Bass? Or is it a dryer, more flakey fish?

2. I'm not firmiliar with mustard oil. Is it found in a jar? Or tube of some kind?

Looking forward to following you on your blogging journey and hearing from you again. Take care, Keri

www.spitnglue.com
www.samwich365.com

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious fish recipe..looks super yummy..
never tried adding mustard paste to fish..will surely give a try

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Satrupa
I read your comment on Ilishi at Keri (Spit and glue).
You get awesome Ilish in USA ( Potomac river) it is called Shad ...
Ilish is an estuary fish and you get it almost every where at river mouth... I found Thai or Burma Ilish is as tasty as the one we get in Bangladesh, WB , Odisa ( all rivers from Subarnarekha to BuDha Balanga) , Godavari basin etc.
I shall try to put a note to Keri , to get some Potomac Shad or the Bangla deshi shops are there everywhere. The too much bones in Ilish is the bone of contention ha ha
I am getting a pack of Ilish sukhua from BBSR < I dont know if you like it...the younger generation in Odisa dont like it ha ha
Have a nice day

Satrupa said...

Thank you all for leaving your comments and suggestions.

Post a Comment